World War II Insignia - Jackson Air Base - 27th Bombardment Group - 8x8 Print

Regular price $7.50

Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.
A remastered illustration of the insignia for Jackson Air Base from World War 2

In June 1941 Hawkins Field was renamed Jackson Army Air Base. When the U.S. Army took over Hawkins Field, a massive military construction program was initiated to transform the small civil airport into a large military airbase. Construction was rapid given the emergency wartime conditions. With the U.S. entry into the war on 7 Dec 1941 the base was rushed to completion and was officially activated on 1 May 1942 with Colonel Junius H. Houghton as the first commander. The base was to be used by the United States Army Air Forces' Flying Training Command as a basic flying training airfield.

Post War: On 2 Oct 1947 Lt Colonel John A.H. Miller, the base commander, announced the name change of Jackson Army Air Base to Jackson Air Reserve Training Detachment. The airfield operated as an Air Force Reserve training center until 31 Mar 1949 when it was declared excess and returned it to civil control as Hawkins Field.

Printed on 80lb matte cover stock and sent in a flat mailer.